Any classroom literature — stories, novels, and expository texts — may be used as basis for engineering design challenges where students can:
- Identify engineering problems
- Impose constraints by using details from the text
- Design functional, realistic solutions for characters
- Engage in the engineering design process while reinforcing their literacy skills
- Use evidence from the text to support their design decisions
If you’ve tried a new book or story that you’d be willing to share with the Novel Engineering community, we’d love to hear from you!